In memory of our beloved Marvin Knopp who died on December 24, 2011

Many people who loved Marvin were not able to attend his funeral because of the suddenness of his death. For those of you who would like to view the service for my father please click on this YouTube link.

Please note that this link consists of four sequential videos totaling 71 minutes in length.

Contributions in his memory may be made to Camphill Soltane, 224 Nantmeal Road, Glenmoore, Pennsylvania 193434, or to Meir Panim.

Friday, December 30, 2011

The idea that we can't talk with Marvin any longer is something that I will never get used to. To say that he was a great man is an understatement, to say that he was a fantastic Mathematician is an understatement, and to say that he was kind, compassionate, and understanding is also an understatement. Words don't seem to have much meaning here, but they are all we have at the moment, as we write this blog.

He is, and I use the present tense because he always will be in my mind, a point of light for me in life - knowing that such a human being was put here on earth helps me have hope for humanity.

To do great Mathematics is wonderful - but he was able to combine that with a kind of human compassion that few of us have come to know or appreciate. His beautiful Mathematics will live on through us. I was very fortunate to have known Marvin, both Mathematically and personally, and I hope to transmit some of that fortune to others now. Recently I sent him a postcard, made of cork, because I know how much he liked one-on-one communication rather than mass-media style communication. This point that he made (refusing to read emails as well) was an interesting one, and marks his wisdom to stand against a modern stampede towards an over-use of technology. I think that as time moves on, we will realize more and more his wisdom to moderate techonology by maintaining a human touch and a basic human caring for each other. We can all still learn from his wisdom. I miss his kind smile, I miss his very pointed sense of humor, and I so miss Marvin, the man whom I was so very fortunate to call my friend.