In memory of our beloved Marvin Knopp who died on December 24, 2011

Many people who loved Marvin were not able to attend his funeral because of the suddenness of his death. For those of you who would like to view the service for my father please click on this YouTube link.

Please note that this link consists of four sequential videos totaling 71 minutes in length.

Contributions in his memory may be made to Camphill Soltane, 224 Nantmeal Road, Glenmoore, Pennsylvania 193434, or to Meir Panim.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Forever Thankful to Marvin Knopp

I came to know Prof. Marvin Knopp when I took his Introductory Modular Theory course at Temple University in Fall 2000. I found him to be very funny, caring, easy to talk to, knowledgeable, and a great teacher. He made the subject he was teaching interesting and as a result he stimulated my interest for the subject. I think that is why I choose him to be my Ph.D. advisor. He was very generous with his time for me and more importantly; he was always a phone call away for everyone who needed his help, suggestion, and guidance. I will always be thankful for what he has done for me and I feel tremendously privileged to have been a part of his life. The knowledge I gained from him is immeasurable. He was a fantastic mathematician (it goes without saying), and a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful man. I wouldn’t be where I am today without his guidance and mentoring. He meant so much to me. For that I will forever be grateful.

I will miss Marvin very much and I would like to send my heartfelt condolences to his family.

Sincerely;

Omer Yayenie